Monday, May 14, 2018

Sunflower Fields....

One of my favorite patterns is Sunflower Fields... it's so bright and cheery. It was the quilt I designed with the sunflower fields of North Dakota in mind. I just love how those flowers follow the sun with their bright cheery faces. The original one is very yellow and gold and the largest size in the pattern. Well, I decided to make the lap sized one up using some of my treasured Bonnie and fabric. I have been saving this fabric for a while, it has traveled to a couple of quilt retreats. I just love, love, love how this version of Sunflower Fieldtu rned out! Let me show you!



Here I have the 'bottom' set of chevrons all sewn together. I just love the scrappy look.
I had several fat quarters of the Bonnie and Camille fabric that I used.

On my design wall, the top section of the quilt waited while I made the Dresden flowers.

Here I have the three Dresden flowers pinned in place along with the stem pieces.

The stems are made from 2 1/2" strips of fabric that is folded in half. Here I am sewing them to the top of the quilt using a 1/4" seam. 

I then fold it over on top of itself and topstitch it in place using a buttonhole stitch.

In the pattern I use a brown thread for the topstitching. For this quilt I wanted a softer look so I am using a white thread.

I top stitch around everything.... flowers and stems....

From all my scraps I make a beautiful scrappy binding.
Isn't it so pretty. I love rolled up scrappy binding!


I then make some yo-yo's for the flower centers and hand stitch them in place.

Now it's my favorite part with this quilt... making the 3 dimensional bumblebee! 

I gather up his little wings...

... then stitch it in place....

Using some pearl cotton, and a running stitch, I embroider the flight of the bumblebee.

Don't forget to embroider his little antennae.



It's the perfect size for snuggling up with a good book. I really like the softer look with this fabric line. So don't be afraid to make a quilt up using very different fabric then what is pictured on the pattern's cover. Have some fun with it and use some of your favorite fabric that you have been saving. You're gonna love how it turns out!

Have a wonderful day!
Happy quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere


3 comments:

  1. That is so cute and I love those bees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Sunflower Fields is one of the sweetest quilts I've ever seen....I'm a beekeeper as well as a quilter---so you know I love that precious bee. Blessings from WV

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete